An expert witness is a professional who gives testimony during a trial that is based on their area of expertise. Expert witnesses are typically retained for a specific issue outside the realm of common knowledge. They apply their expertise in an objective manner and help the jury understand complex subject matter.
Attorneys often call upon Nave Newell civil engineers, land planners, and surveyors to provide testimony and litigation support. These cases may involve condemnation, eminent domain, land valuation, land use appeals, design and construction defects, and property line disputes.
When it comes to court cases, the credibility of an expert witness can often be the deciding factor in the outcome. For this reason, it is crucial to choose an expert witness who is not only knowledgeable in the relevant area, but one who can also communicate effectively and confidently in front of a judge and jury.
What qualities make a good expert witness?
There are certain qualities that all expert witnesses should possess in order to be effective. They should be knowledgeable about their field, credible, and able to communicate complex ideas in a way that is understandable to laypeople. They should also be able to remain calm under pressure, especially during cross-examination. That’s just a starting point though. An exceptionally good and experienced expert witness brings so much more.
A highly effective expert witness…
- Thoroughly prepares ahead of time and is on the same page as the attorney
- Can clearly articulate their opinion and think on their feet in stressful situations
- Speaks loud and clear and makes eye contact with the judge, jury, and counsel
- Knows to pause, asks counsel to repeat the question if necessary, and takes their time thinking through and properly responding to each question
- Knows how to properly address and use exhibits during testimony
- Understands the value of a thorough expert report that covers every potential issue that may come up in court
If you are hiring an expert witness, it is important to make sure that you find one with the qualities that are necessary for success.
Expert witness reports
Expert witness reports are another important component of the judicial process. In these reports, the expert witness provides critical insights into complex legal cases. These reports state facts, explain the reasoning, and help to ensure that judges and juries have all the information they need to make informed decisions.
To be effective, the reports must be thorough and accurate. They must address all possible points of discussion or evidence. If an item is not included in the report, you may not be able to discuss it in the courtroom. Expert reports should also contain clear and convincing exhibits that can be used in court to further demonstrate a point.
Why hire Nave Newell expert witnesses?
When hiring an expert witness, there are a number of important factors to consider as we have outlined in this article.
At Nave Newell, we have served as expert witnesses in over 20 litigation cases, appearing before both the Court of Commons Pleas and the Commonwealth Court.
We are highly skilled in research and data analysis, which allows us to provide our clients with the most comprehensive and accurate testimony and reports possible.
Our civil engineering, land planning, and surveying experts bring strong credentials, technical expertise, and the ability to confidently testify and work as part of a trial team.
- We are known for our thorough expert reports, clear and effective exhibits, and convincing testimony.
- We look at the big picture and get a full understanding of the attorney’s legal strategy.
- We complete a comprehensive evaluation of the project and case materials.
- We identify our weaknesses as well as those of the opposing side.
- We then provide the technical data necessary to support the case.
- We help resolve issues outside of court, whenever possible.
“I am very happy to report that this matter has been settled against all odds. Many people helped on the long road to resolution and your contributions were critical in our understanding of the claims and in preparing our arguments against the other parties. I know the client and carrier were both very happy with your work as were Steve and I. Your exemplary work has made you our go-to experts. ”
Sean Ryan, Esq. Partner, BARDSLEY LAW, LLC
Learn more or contact us
Visit Nave Newell’s Expert Testimony and Litigation Support Services page to learn more or contact us to see if we’d be a good fit for your next case.